This Investigations Activity Report describes the activities of the Inspectorate General’s Investigations Division (IG/IN) in 2021, giving an overview of IG/IN’s work to prevent, detect, investigate and remedy Prohibited Conduct (such as fraud and corruption) affecting EIB Group activities.
In particular, the report provides:
- A chapter dedicated to fighting fraud during the global pandemic and the challenges posed to investigations;
- Relevant statistics regarding the allegations received and investigations conducted;
- A selection of relevant internal and external case studies reflecting the range of allegations handled by investigators as well as the findings and lessons learned;
- An overview of the developments regarding fraud detection tools and methodology as well as relevant statistics in this area;
- An outline on deterrence and rehabilitation activities such as exclusion proceedings and settlements with entities that have engaged in Prohibited Conduct; and
- Information on the policy work undertaken by IG/IN, such as expanding the network of international partners, fraud and corruption awareness trainings and other initiatives for EIB Group staff members, as well as continued efforts in outreach and global partnerships.