The financing does not dilute the founders’ ownership stake, keeping motivation high, while complementing the equity capital.
Loans can be secured or unsecured and provide different levels of subordination (including contingent/participating loans).
The EIB assumes no direct involvement in daily management.
The EIB’s financing is often seen as a quality stamp, helping the project attract additional investors.
Who is eligible
- Small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) and mid-caps, developing highly innovative technologies, solutions or platforms
The company must have already raised equity from professional investors, have a sustainable business model and business plan and have a solid corporate governance in place.
Check the "What is eligible" section for the type of projects we can finance.
What is eligible
Investment plans in research & development must be located in the European Union. The projects should be in commercial stage, although pre-commercial stage may be accepted if the company develops technologies in areas of strategic importance to the EU.
The financing size requested is between €5 million and €50 million.
The projects should fall under one of the innovative areas, indicatively:
- Health: biotech, unmet medical needs, vaccines, therapeutics, diagnostics, med-tech, digital health solutions, etc.
- Future technologies: robotics, automation, semi-conductors, high performance computing, quantum computing, artificial intelligence, advanced hardware components, advanced engineering, photonics, semiconductors, IoT, 5g and beyond, edge computing, industry 4.0, automation and data flows, advanced materials, sustainable / advanced manufacturing, space tech, strategic sustainable ICT technologies, etc.
- Sustainable infrastructure: sustainable transport, future mobility, transition to clean energy, decarbonisation technologies and digital solutions, the circular economy, greening of space technologies, etc.
Find information on pricing, geographical availability and other terms
- Sweden: EIB lends €20 million to biotech company for development of biopharmaceuticals to treat cancer and inflammatory diseases
- Germany: EIB grants €15 million to finance growth of Smart Reporting
- Anocca secures EUR 25 million from the European Investment Bank (EIB) to support clinical development of next-generation T-cell therapies for cancer
- Dans le cadre du programme InvestEU, la BEI et GeNeuro signent un accord de crédit de 25 millions d’euros afin d’accompagner le développement d’un traitement contre le COVID long
- Neuromod Closes €30 Million Financing to Expand Availability of Lenire®
- Estonia: InvestEU - EIB agrees €18 million loan to biotech Icosagen for innovative R&D technologies and new cGMP production facility
- Belgium: ExeVir lands European venture debt financing to develop novel nanobody COVID-19 therapy
- Denmark: EIB supports development of novel maternal vaccine with €50 million loan for Danish life science company
- Spain: €20 million EIB loan to DeepUll accelerates early detection and diagnosis of Sepsis
- Italy: EIB provides €10 million to Blubrake for innovation in sustainable mobility
- Denmark: EIB finances GomSpace with EUR 18 million, in support of EU space innovation and strategic autonomy
- France: EIB and MedinCell sign a new €40 million loan agreement to support development of innovative treatments
- Poland: EIB to support Ryvu Therapeutics’ discovery, research and development of new cancer treatments with €22 million
- Israel: EUR 22 million EU backing for Israeli microbiology diagnostic leader Pocared
- Austria: EIB supports Innovacell’s innovative cell therapy for treating incontinence
- France: Lysogene enters into a loan agreement of €15 million with the EIB
- France: EIB lends €15 million to Quantum Surgical for the commercial launch of its Epione® medical robot
- France: eCential Robotics and EIB announce €15million in financing for research and innovation in digital and robotics for neuro-musculo-skeletal surgery
- Netherlands: Dutch med-tech innovator Xeltis lands €15 million European financing from EIB
- Greece/Cyprus: Next-generation insurance company Hellas Direct raises EUR 32 million and welcomes EIB backing
- Greece: Matrix Pack to receive EUR 8.5 million in support from EIB to focus all production on green single-use packaging
- France: EIB lends €7.5 million to Menta to speed up its development
- Germany: EIB and EIC Fund provide new funding for industry startup DyeMansion
- France: EIB provides €15 million to Robocath to support the development of its robotic solutions for treating cardiovascular disease
- Two companies empower small businesses and grow together
- Belgian med-tech innovator iSTAR Medical secures €20 million European financing from the EIB
- EIB invests in company Eggtronic's innovative technologies
- Investment Plan for Europe - EIB provides funding of up to EUR 20 million to Bitmovin
- D-Orbit brings tiny nano satellites to space for collecting climate change data
- Finland: Metaverse company Varjo receives €20 million in financing from EIB
- Spain: Anaconda Biomed to close venture debt operation of up to €10 million with the EIB to treat acute ischemic stroke (AIS)
- Germany: EIB provides €15 million of funding to IDnow
- Finland: TactoTek lands €15 mln venture debt financing under European Guarantee Fund
- Bulgaria: EIB invests €10 million in new space scaleup EnduroSat
- EIB Announces First Direct financing for a start-up in the European “New Space” sector - €20 million venture loan for Spire Global
- Netherlands: Dutch scale-up EclecticIQ receives €15 million in EU financing to boost development of next-gen cyber security platform
- Germany: EIB supports drone startup Quantum Systems with venture debt
- Lithuania: Long-term support for Brolis EIB venture debt from European Guarantee Fund
- Belgium: Belgian industrial biotech innovator Inbiose secures €15 million from EIB
- Belgium: EIB boosts innovative biotech company Univercells with €30 million of European financing to support COVID-19-related projects
- Belgium: Bone Therapeutics secures up to €16 million financing from EIB
- Austria: EIB provides €7.5 million to artificial intelligence software innovator Cortical.io
- France: EIB provides €50 million to support Forsee Power's growth
- France: OSE Immunotherapeutics enters a loan agreement of up to €25 million with the EIB
- France: EIB supports AB Science in its COVID-19 development programme
- Denmark: EU boosts Evaxion’s artificial intelligence vaccine research
- Germany: EIB provides KINEXON with €15 million to develop their internet of things technology
- Italy: EU backs MMI’s Robotic System for Microsurgery
- Sweden: EU backs cancer treatment research with quasi equity investment
- Spain: Biotech innovation - the EIB provides €20 million in financing to Sanifit to develop treatments for vascular calcification
- Poland: EIB lends up to €10 million to Scope Fluidics to develop diagnostics equipment for infectious diseases
- Italy: EU support for biotech’s red blood cell technology to treat rare diseases
- EIB signs collaboration with Israel Innovation Authority and €50 million financing agreement with Pluristem to develop therapies for COVID-19 and other unmet medical needs
- Netherlands: Europe supports AM-Pharma through EUR 24m InnovFin facility
- Slovenia: Investment Plan for Europe - EIB signs €12 million loan with energy services provider Resalta
- Germany: EIB provides funding of €40 million to ITM
- Poland: #InvestEU – EIB finances digital money transfer service Azimo to make international payments affordable to all
- France : Plan d’investissement - la BEI finance le développement de Famoco
- France: Median Technologies announces the signing of EUR 35 million finance contract with the EIB
- Germany: EIB provides funding of EUR 50 million to BioNTech as part of the Investment Plan for Europe
- Estonia: #InvestEU - EUR 50m quasi-equity facility for ride-hailing platform Bolt
- Germany: EU Investment Plan - EIB lends Fazua EUR 12 million